Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Big Island of Hawaii Vacation - Day Seven

The last day here....unbelievable.

But a 7:30 a.m. alarm set by hubby? No way. I reminded Bill that I had decided that this was going to be my morning to sleep in, and sleep I did.  Adequate sleep at home is hard to come by, so at least one vacation day of sleeping until I felt I could wake up energized needed to happen. Unfortunately, we were thoroughly  adapted to Hawaiian time, meaning my snooze until 9 a.m. this morning was the equivalent of sleeping until noon at home. Tomorrow will be a rude awakening as our flight leaves shortly after 8 a.m.

Today's agenda included driving up the road to one of the other sandy beaches around the resort...a calm bay, a little area for snorkeling, not enough waves for boogie boarding though, and lot of fine white sand. Being that it was a public beach, it provided for plenty of people watching including two snorkelers who came up on shore with their harpoons, a bag full of fish, and another one full of octopus. Never know what you will see here.

After getting what could be our last fill of sun for another couple of months, we wandered back to the villa and stuffed ourselves on leftover Korean tacos, a oriental chicken salad kit from Costco, and iced coffee. A nice change of pace after, not really rationing, but being aware of how much food we were buying at such an incredible price.

We hit the resort pool area, I with my iPod and a little Instapaper reading, and Hailey with her swim goggles.  Megan consumed herself with photography, determined perhaps to capture everything that she might have forgotten, and everyone else just hung out.

All too soon it was time to begin the process of packing back up. Of the four suitcases we brought, two now had broken wheels...one was the largest one of course. We had tried to balance them to stay under the 50 lb. weight limit on the way there but were actually overweight on one of them. So out came the bathroom scale, and the suitcases were weighed, contents readjusted, reweighed, more shifting, until finally they had nearly equal weights. That job was finished.

Tomorrow's flight was going to be early, but it was hard to shut it down early knowing that tomorrow we would be back to the dreary and damp Northwest.

Links to other posts in this series:

Day One
Day Two
Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Eight

0 comments - click here to leave your comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so leave me a message. Have a great day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3-column blogger templates(available in 4 different styles)